In September 2020, we have asked you to provide your comments on identification of needs and gaps for achievement of the eight long-term ambitions for hydrology agreed by Cg-18:
- No one is surprised by a flood;
- Everyone is prepared for drought;
- Hydro-climate and meteorological data support the food security agenda;
- High-quality data supports science;
- Science provides a sound basis for operational hydrology;
- We have a thorough knowledge of the water resources of our world;
- Sustainable development is supported by information covering the full hydrological cycle;
- Water quality is known;
Based on your valuable inputs, the Hydrological Coordination Panel has developed, in cooperation with other working bodies of WMO, the actual content of the Action Plan for Hydrology – a proposed list of activities and outputs.
We have identified 5 action areas completed by a group of cross-cutting activities that lead to the achievement of the above listed ambitions. In addition, activities are coordinated with the development of the Research Strategy for Hydrology by the WMO Research Board.
We need your knowledge and experience to produce a plan that will suite and serve the needs of hydrology at Members’ level and this phase is the critical one. Therefore, we are asking you again for your contribution in shaping further development of the Action Plan.
- Firstly, please, provide us your feedback and specific comments on the text part of the Action Plan (DOWNLOADABLE HERE). Please send your comments indicating the line number to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you wish to provide general comments on the document and the Action Plan development, please use the “Leave a reply” form below.
- To see the list of activities proposed under each Action area and comment on them, please use the following links:
- Action area ‘FLOODS’ – activities contributing to achievement of ambition ‘No one is surprised by a flood’
- Action area ‘DROUGHTS AND SUPPORT TO FOOD SECURITY AGENDA’ – activities contributing to achievement of ambitions ‘Everyone is prepared for drought’ & ‘Hydro-climate and meteorological data support the food security agenda’
- Action area ‘INTERFACES WITH SCIENCE’ – activities contributing to achievement of ambitions ‘High-quality data supports science’ & ‘Science provides a sound basis for operational hydrology’
- Action area ‘WATER RESOURCES ASSESSMENT AND INFORMATION FOR SDG’ – activities contributing to achievement of ambitions ‘We have a thorough knowledge of the water resources of our world’ & ‘Sustainable development is supported by information covering the full hydrological cycle’
- Action area ‘WATER QUALITY’ – activities contributing to achievement of ambition ‘Water quality is known’
- Action area ‘CROSS-CUTTING ISSUES’ – activities contributing to enhancement of operations of the National Hydrological Services, their visibility, financing and sustainability, as well as its core infrastructure and data sharing
We are collecting your inputs until 25 May 2021
Thank you for your involvement and support
Jan Danhelka, Chair of the Hydrological Coordination Panel